After having had much time thinking about the different electives that I could've taken this year, CSC104 seemed to come out on top. I have zero experience in this field and having the opportunity to navigate myself in uncharted waters has been very rewarding thus far. The course material has so far been pretty straight, enjoyable and very different than what I usually witness, being an accouting student. I have really enjoyed the coding aspect of this course. Dr.Racket has been a very intuitive piece of software to get students thinking about the approach required as far as programming is concerned.
I have to say though, the one moment in which confusion plagued me was when Binary was first introduced to the class. I could not wrap my head around the mechanics of binary and the required steps to perform a conversion from decimal, or vice versa. I always strongly accentuate that when life has problems "google" has answers. As such, I consulted an external website http://courses.cs.vt.edu/csonline/NumberSystems/Lessons/DecimalToBinaryConversion/index.html as a tool to get me through this new concept. I was able to successfully learn the system and moreover it allowed me to better grasp the lectures. Putting the extra time in outside of class to learn the material has been highly beneficial.
The Wikipedia assignment was quite enjoyable. I had no prior experience editing Wikipedia material and as someone who uses Wikipedia extensively, I think its great giving back to the community. Learning the Wikipedia syntax took quite sometime but as soon as I leaped over this hurdle the rest was pretty simple.
Next week assignment 1 is due and I'm looking forward to completing it, especially as this is our first assignment within the course. I'm really excited that I enrolled in this course and I can't wait to see what I'll learn next!
I have to say though, the one moment in which confusion plagued me was when Binary was first introduced to the class. I could not wrap my head around the mechanics of binary and the required steps to perform a conversion from decimal, or vice versa. I always strongly accentuate that when life has problems "google" has answers. As such, I consulted an external website http://courses.cs.vt.edu/csonline/NumberSystems/Lessons/DecimalToBinaryConversion/index.html as a tool to get me through this new concept. I was able to successfully learn the system and moreover it allowed me to better grasp the lectures. Putting the extra time in outside of class to learn the material has been highly beneficial.
The Wikipedia assignment was quite enjoyable. I had no prior experience editing Wikipedia material and as someone who uses Wikipedia extensively, I think its great giving back to the community. Learning the Wikipedia syntax took quite sometime but as soon as I leaped over this hurdle the rest was pretty simple.
Next week assignment 1 is due and I'm looking forward to completing it, especially as this is our first assignment within the course. I'm really excited that I enrolled in this course and I can't wait to see what I'll learn next!
No comments:
Post a Comment